Subject: [Leica] OT: black and white transparencies
From: "Derek Zeanah" <derek@zeanah.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 14:35:24 -0500

This is probably so far off-topic that it should be discussed of-list, but
there is enough expertise around here that I thought I'd ask for help...

I've lost my darkroom -- we've moved into a house half as large as our old
one, and I'm beginning to suffer from withdrawal.  What I'd like to do is
shoot B&W and reverse-develop it in my Jobo -- I ran a test on 120 TechPan
and was impressed enough to believe the idea has merit (22x loupe *barely*
showed grain, and only if you were looking for it.  Not bad for a 6x6
negative...)

Anyway, the test shots I've seen were *way* too contrasty to make me want to
use that film/developer combination for "normal" work.  So I have two
questions:

1) What film/developer combinations produce slides of "normal" contrast?

2) It seems like one ought to be able to expand/contract development, but
I'm confused as to how (or if) one would have to change the process to do
so.  If these were straight B&W negs I'd have no problem (expose for the
shadows and develop for the highlights, St. Ansel style) but the addition of
sodium thiosulfate to the first developer *and* the idea that I'm working
with a chrome are scaring me.  Please offer some guidance.

I know that this list tends to wanded way off topic -- I'm not trying to
make the situation worse.  If appropriate, please respond via e-mail.

And BTW, the process looks like it may have some incredibly beautiful
results if I can work it out.

Thanks.