Subject: Re: [Leica] The scarcest resource on earth?
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 07:44:27 -0500

f you have been following all the ludicrous discussion on this last over
the past week of about Cosina, an eminent Japanese lens manufacturer,
"hiding" behind the German name Voigtlander, and then consider how much
time on the list was spent on non-photography issues, you'll realize
that Phowhat was the shortened version of Photography what(?), and was
not meant as an attack on Vietnamese. Serbo-Croation was pulled out of
the air, and have just as easilly could have been any European, Eastern
European, nation or people you choose to insert in its place.

I am certainly sorry that you were personally offended, as I had no
intention of offending anyone.

- -----
However...I have no intention of apologizing here generally for what was
a totally innocent joke. Those who wish to may irrationally and
mistakenly call me any sort of bigot or racist they wish to.  In doing
so they only demonstrate how far the concept of free speech has
deteriorated in the U.S. - I say in the U.S. because Slodoban Dimitrov
apparently lives in Los Angeles where he is involved in the campaign
against something he defines as "hate speech."

I find it particularly ironic - and sad - that this exchange follows by
only a few days the news stories about students on the campus of Brown,
often described as the most "liberal" university in America, literally
storming the student newspaper office because the newspaper published a
full page ad arguing against reparations for slavery.

If I have a lousy sense of humor, so be it. I do not happen to be
racist, nor do I happen to be ethnocentric nor consider myself as an
American of Russian-Romanian-Polish-German extraction somehow superior
in any way to any member of any other nation.

However, I am not going to get into some sort of pathetic, mewling,
"some of my best friends are..." bullshit.

I happen to think it is far more important to defend free speech -
including free speech which some or all of the people - myself included
- - may find ugly, demeaning, or degrading. Free speech is free speech is
free speech - within the bounds laid down by the U.S. Supreme Court -
and free speech is what has made it possible for the ":American
Experiment" to survive these past 214 years.

B. D. Colen

Replies: Reply from "Stanislaw B.A. Stawowy" <watteau@krakow.neurosoft.net> (Re: [Leica] The scarcest resource on earth?)
Message from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] The scarcest resource on earth?)
Message from S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] The scarcest resource on earth?)