Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Flare in Rangefinder, and other Facts.
From: henry <henry@henryambrose.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 20:52:42 -0600

Douglas Cooper quoted and wrote:

and I'm not Erwin but I do have something to say about what Douglas wrote.

>> My M6s are useless
>> for low light photography as rf flare makes focussing really hard.
This is SO SILLY, why repeat it?
M6s are NOT useless for lowlight photography. Yes the VF flares
sometimes. Have you tried putting a bit of tape over the window? It helps.

>The fact is that the out of focus characteristics of the APO-Macro-Elmarit
>2.8/100 are generally thought dire:  they "put one's teeth on edge".  You
>don't find even a hint of this on Erwin's site.  And Leica has no doubt sold
>a great number of these lenses based on his enthusiasm.
I've used the 100 a little. I did not do any copy shots, I did photograph
3D objects. I found the OOF areas to be well rendered and smooth - it did
not set my teeth on edge. Its a nice lens for macro, maybe as good as it
gets. As a general purpose lens it is lacking IMO because of its size and
long focusing throw but for what it is made to do, those things actually
help!

When I did this I also shot the Nikon 60 and 105 Macros along side the
Elmarit. I use them everyday in my work. I KNOW them. They are excellent
for what they are designed for. They are sharp as hell at 5.6 and 8,
probably as good as anything made. They are also plasticy and cheesy
compared to the Elmarit. Which one is better? Hard to say! But the OOF
rendition of the Elmarit was nicer IMO. So what else would you compare?
Canon, Zeiss? Whats "better" than any of the three I used?

If you bought the Elmarit and you dislike it so, then sell it and get
something that you completely love. "Better" means different things to
different users so if a lens does not suit you then get something else
and be happy.

If you want mooshy OOF stuff, then try extension tubes on a 50 Summicron
R.
I suspect it'll knock your socks off. A lot cheaper than the Elmarit as
well. You do own an R camera don't you?

Or do you still have your Rollei(s)? Try the Rolleinars. Now there is
some close-up bokeh heaven!!!!! (Rolleinar 1 is weakest, 3 is strongest)

Henry