Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Bessa-T - let me get this straight...
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 08:19:01 -0800

Paul Chefurka wrote:
>>> Those of you who think it's an idiotic piece of gear are under no
compulsion to buy one. Those of you who can think of a possible niche for it
in your work can buy one and try it out with little financial risk. Those
(like me) who think it's a cool "objet d'art" but just isn't going to be
practical given the way they shoot can pass on it but continue to admire a
company that is prepared to ignore the received wisdom of the Nicanoltax
(and even Leica) pundits and blaze its own trail.

> And let us not forget that Cosina is proving itself to be a most prolific
generator of new gear. Who knows what is going to leap from their febrile
imaginations into the camera stores in the next year or two?

> My reaction is that it's great to see a camera company that looks like
it's having some fun for a change. <<<<<

Hi Paul,

Just arrived home and it seems there are a pile of postings regarding this
new Bessa-T camera, a very interesting product indeed.

However it does appear a number of our kindred souls have their usual anti
the photo world comments when not knowing a thing about what goes on in the
board room of C&V or Leica.  That's their prerogative.

It appears this new camera is interesting, will I buy one? Not likely, only
because  I'm Leica loaded and not in need of any new toys. ;-)

> And let us not forget that Cosina is proving itself to be a most prolific
generator of new gear. Who knows what is going to leap from their febrile
imaginations into the camera stores in the next year or two? <<<<<<

And that's what's so interesting about this company, they are doing things
and coming out with items when they say they are. Not like the company we
know who make our picture taking machines which we all dearly love and
covet.

I mean Leica at the moment can't get it right when they say they are making
a lens and then pull it off the market before it goes anywhere. At least
Cosina-V has been doing something exciting and imaginative compared to you
know who.

What I can't fathom for the life of me, is the locked down never look
forward mentality of Solms to producing anything as simple as new lenses in
the vane of C-V. Is it so difficult to use common sense and make lenses that
sell for the prices C-V do and grab a pile of sales in the manner C-V have
in the past year or so?

Not having any idea whatsoever of total sales of say, the 15mm C-V since
they made it available,  but I'd imagine it's a tidy sum that could've gone
into the Leica coffers if they had some real-time imaginative business
people looking at the world of Leica photography.

But like I said earlier, there are Leica and C-V board room decisions made
that no one on this site is privy to, therefore making any comment on
management of either company is futile at best.

So I figure those who will survive by wit and common sense will survive and
those who crash blindly on in the old fashion way will probably fall by the
wayside.  But then who am I to make those predictions? Certainly not any
brighter nor better informed than all the others on the LUG!

Bottom line? Hey take the lenses and cameras presented by C-V play and buy
or not buy, but it isn't worth the screen it's written on to whine and bitch
about what should, could, might have been!  About either company!
Have a nice day. ;-) Go take pictures! :-)
ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Bessa-T - let me get this straight...)