Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: care for vulcanite & leatherette
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 10:54:54 -0500

Dennis-
Good point! As I pointed out, the 'vulcanite' on an old FED appeared to have
the greenish-brown oxidation that vulcanite pipe stems often show with age-
any pipe smokers out there know what I mean!
Since it is a form of vulcanized rubber, it has, one a high sulfur content,
and no real artificial 'rubberisers' to make it flexible.
I think that Leica's point was to use something that did not contain a high
concentration of petroleum solvents- we all know what oil and petroleum
distillates a can do to rubber- like tyres- with are a form of vulcanized
rubber. Most of the suggestions seem to revolve around keeping it clean- I
use Citra-solve, the cleaner/air freshener made from theoil of citrus fruit
peels- biodegradable, mild, and it smells nice! It is great for removing
'nose' oil and general crud.
On top of that, the only real protection that the rubber needs is to protect
it from oxidation which will break down the surface, and allow it to
harden.... To restore the FED I pointed out that I used Edge Dressing from
Kiwi- and to reaffirm its use, I went and scrubbed and rubbed, and it did
not rub off, and it seems to be still good on the IIIc on which I used it.
The IIIc was a painted user, so I figured if the Vulcanite fell off, I'd
just replace it with the FARGo stuff, but so far, NO PROBLEMS!
I have used a light coate of paste wax to brighten both vulcanite and
leather- so far, not problems with what is really 'natural' ingredients- I
recently gave my son a pair of shoes that I had had for over thrity years.
They were dress shoes that never really felt right, and so I wore them very
little, but did keep them polished and dusted over the years. They looked as
good as new when I gave them to him. He was tickled to have a pair of shoes
that were ten years older then he was!!
I thik that protecting vulcanite from oxygen is important- especially if you
have a collectible that you want to preserve, any natural protectant should
be fine. IF you use the camera- then if the cover falls off- it means you
are actually using the damnned thing, and if you want to keep using it- have
it recovered. Hopefully, you will do this three or four times while you have
the camera! The greatest chanllenge is to actually wear a leica completely
out!
Dan