Subject: Re: [Leica] Bessa T
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 08:44:58 -0500

> What is it with all this enthusiasm for the Cosina stuff?
>
> The price of the body plus three accessory finders on Mr. Gandy's most
excellent
> list, $825 (without shipping), equals the cost of the user Leica M2 or M4-2
that is
> waiting for you on the shelf of your local camera store or at one of the
> photo shows
> or even here on some blessed Friday. A far superior choice if one is
interested in
> taking pictures, not just playing around with gadgets.
>
> Why would anyone want to point an oddball item like the
son-of-rapidwinder-equipped
> Bessa with one big finder eye on top and blinking red lights at the back at
> some poor
> subject in this day and age? Are you trying to scare people away or take a
picture?

> I was amazed to see that even the inside front cover of the LHSA Viewfinder
> recently
> was basically an
> advertisement for this stuff. As for the claim that Kobayashi doesn't wish
> to compete
> with Leica, how does one explain the 28/1.9, 35/1.7. 50/1.5 etc.? Those surely
are
> designed precisely to attract attention away from Leica.
>
> For me, the only Cosina items of any real value are the 75 mm and maybe the
35mm
> finders, which Leica does not make now. There may be some special occasions
for the
> 15mm and the 12mm. Very few, I'll wager.
>
> Emanuel Lowi
> Montreal

Emanuel,

As far as the Cosina editorial presence in the LHSA's Viewfinder every issue
for the past couple of years all written by Tom A, (and at the same time
always being editorially critical of Leica) one has to wonder if Tom A is a
paid consultant for Cosina. And I am a little shocked that the powers at
LHSA go along with this. If I find out that Tom A is in fact a Cosina paid
consultant I will be dropping my LHSA membership.

Steve
Annapolis

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Bessa T)
Reply from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> (Re: [Leica] Bessa T)