Subject: RE: [Leica] Underwater Photography - Slightly OT
From: Tom Finnegan <TomF@piengr.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 09:59:50 -0800

The ever helpful Mr. Collier suggested:
So a long answer to say use punchy film, Portra 400VC, Royal Gold 400, etc.
************

The also helpful Mr. Chefurka suggested:
For underwater shooting I think the extra snap of the Supra films makes them
a pretty safe choice.
**************

So, just what exactly are the differences between these various Kodak 400
flavors of color negative? It sounds like there are some subtle differences
between the Porta and Supra films, but what's the difference between Royal
Gold and Supra? Glazers camera here in Seattle lists Supra 400 @ $3.58/roll,
Royal Gold 400 @ $5.13/roll, and Porta 400VC @ $6.55/roll. Cost isn't really
a concern since I won't be buying that much, but it did make me curious. I
will be bringing some Neopan 1600 along on the trip, so if things are a bit
blue and overcast maybe I'll try a roll of that u/w.

Mr. Chefurka also added:
The day after I got back a Nikonos IV arrived in the consignment case of a
local store, but I didn't spend too much time pining - in retrospect I think
the little Canon is a good choice for someone who doesn't have much
experience with UW photography and wants to being back *something* from a
pricey vacation.
***********

I briefly considered gettin a Nikonos III off of the internet site that
shall remain nameless. I figured it would make a good wet weather camera,
but unfortunately it's been unusually rain free this winter so I haven't had
a good excuse. I also was a bit uncertain about getting repairs on the older
Nikonos since Nikon doesn't support the older models at all. The cost of an
underwater meter was also a bit of a turnoff. The Canon looked like a decent
inexpensive option, and I think will make a good first 'real' camera for my
daughter.

Tom Finnegan
Seattle