Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Vulcanite
From: "Bill" <ohlen@sierratel.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 22:31:31 -0800

Doug writes:

> This has me thinking, yet again:  *what should I put on
the vulcanite to
> keep it from drying out?*  Someone long ago suggested
Neatsfoot Oil, which
> was precisely the wrong advice, according to Ken Ruth at
Bald Mountain:  it
> breeds bacteria, and can harm adhesives etc.  He thought
high-grade vinyl
> cleaner bought at a car specialty place -- "Black Magic"
and the like --
> would be just the thing.

I use a glycerine-based saddle soap.  I have used it
saddles, all of my camera bodies, dashboards on cars, and
anything else that I need to clean and preserve.  So far,
works great.  You rub it on and rub it off.
 ~bill