Subject: Re: [Leica] [LEICA] Why use center-weighted metering with R8?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 02:46:11 -0800

Ray Moth wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Having read the raher brief description of Matrix Metering in the R8
> user's manual, plus other people's comments in various lists, I am left
> wondering why one might ever choose center-weighted metering with the
> R8. Can someone please enlighten me on its supposed merits over matrix
> metering?
>
> Regards,
>
> =====
> Ray

I have a lot of experience with the center weighted vs matrix option from the
extensive use of my Nikon 8008 in the early 90's.
The reason why you'd want the center weighted option is because you want the
metering to be center weighted!!! Why?
This is how most cameras work and is the most obvious and still the most useful.
With matrix you don't know what it's doing. It's metering from all over the
place and it's decided you're shooting a Mary Smith by the sunset. You could
really be shooting Harvey the steam shovel by a low pressure sodium light and
the situation could require a much different light balance.
That said i gonna say that at least with old Nikons, matrix metering usually works.
What if you want to take readings off different areas?
What if you want to control what you are doing?
Then you leave it at center weighted metering and take readings and make
decisions based on those readings.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA