Subject: [Leica] [LEICA] Fill-flash with R8
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 20:11:54 -0800 (PST)

Deal All,

Having read the R8 manual in English, which I had photocopied by an
Indonesian camera dealer, it appears to me that in the R8 there is a
departure from the R7 modus operandi for fill-flash.

Both the R7 and the R8 will give you fill-flash in P mode, if the light
is sufficient and not too bright; if there is insufficient light, the
switches to prime flash with f/5.6 and the max. synch speed (1/100 or
1/250 respectively); if there is too much light for the max. synch
speed at smallest aperture, the camera effectively disables the flash
and you get a picture taken with available light only. The methods used
by the R7 and R8 are slightly different but the effects are the same.
So far, so good.

The difference arises with the use of flash in shutter priority mode.
The R7 gives fill-flash and will decrease the shutter speed from 1/100,
if necessary, for insufficient light. If there's too much light, it
will warn you but you can still take the over-exposed shot if you want
to. The R8, on the other hand, does not give fill-flah in shutter
priority mode. Instead, as far as I can tell, you have to use the
switches on the 3501 adpater if you want fill-flash in this mode (which
you could do in any other mode, too, I suppose).

Could anyone enlarge on this? Have I misunderstood the manual? Also,
could anyone suggest why you would want to use shutter priority for
flash with the R8? I'm sure there must be some advantage to it but I
can't see it for the life of me!

Regards,