Subject: Re: [Leica] My M5 replacement.
From: "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 10:39:07 -0800

When you bought a camera overseas and brought it through US customs, you
were required to sign something promising to obliterate the name.  Same is
true if you mail ordered - customs would detain it until you paid the duty
and signed the pledge.  Don't ask me why.  I know this was true back in the
70's, when two friends mail ordered cameras directly from Japan.  One guy
who bought a Konica Autoreflex had a plate engraved with his initials to
cover it up, and the other, who bought an OM-2, ignored it, and figured no
one would ever follow up to check.  I have a feeling most probably simply
did not comply, but this was probably a Big Brother fearing man who lived up
to his word.

Tom Schofield

Message from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] My M5 replacement.)