Subject: RE: [Leica] WE WUZ ROBBED!-Copyright law
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:46:36 -0700

> Tina,
>
> I could be wrong, but I believe that is true providing you have actually
> registered your work with the Copyright office. Just saying it is
> copyrighted does not make it so.

Marking it as copyright does indeed mean it is copyrighted (actually, the
work becomes copyright to the creator at creation). But registering provides
added protection and stronger remedies for infringement. Also, work may be
registered within xx days of an infringement to obtain this protection too.
Work may also be registered in bulk. (I have a whole slew of copyright sites
at home I can hunt down).

BTW in here Canada, you don't need to register. Also, copyright infringement
here has both Civil AND Criminal remedies (ie it is theft of
copyright/intellectual property). But there are also a number of other weird
outdated copyright quirks to offset that!

Tim A

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] WE WUZ ROBBED!-Copyright law)