Subject: [Leica] RE: [Leica] Question for LUG: frameline on M3 for 35mm summaron lens
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:04:21 -0000

John,

Speaking from practical experience I can offer some real world advice.
I used to 'run' a late (1966) all black M3-type 35/1.4 on a 0.72 M6. The
advantages were closer focusing (26", terrific) but the drawbacks were
twofold, larger apparatus, and reduced image size in the viewfinder.
The goggles magnify the viewfinder to show the (35mm f.o.v. on the 50mm
frames) equivalent of 19.6mm field of view at the 28mm frames and then
there's the edge beyond that - a very wide viewfinder overall.
The 0.58 camera shows around 21-24mm field of view (though not marked), not
as wide as the goggled version above.
I eventually found the field of view too small, I suppose I kept recalling
the previous size of view, so I sold the lens - too cheaply...

So I'd suggest the difference in magnification is greater than supposed.
Focusing is not an issue but then the original Summilux only focused to 1m,
not 0.7 as the current one does.
Jem