Subject: [Leica] Jonathan Eastland
From: Gwpics@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 04:18:00 EST

I bumped into Jonathan yesterday at a photographic 'rummage' sale where he
had a stall. I know Jonathan a little and have bumped into him a few times
but had not realised he lives about 3 miles from me. I used to be very
friendly with his son Adam who is now, so Jonathan tells me, shooting for an
American travel book company currently in Japan, but based in Rome.

I thought fellow LUGers may be interested in a couple of his comments:

1. About the 35-70 f2.8 zoom that there is so much fuss about, he commented
that 'it is a beast of a lens and I can't understand why anyone would want
one' but he claims that Leica have told him that they would manufacture some
more if they could be satisfied that there was sufficient demand at a higher
price.

2. We talked briefly about the Cosina range of lenses and he said that the
approach to life from Cosina was far more positive than Leica and they were
willing to explore markets more. About the 15mm lens, he said it was a
cracking lens that he uses an awful lot.

I bought a Macro-converter R from him at a considerable saving over normal
second-hand price. It was his own but is now superfluous to his needs and was
something I had been looking for. There were many other items at various
stalls including a new M6TTL at about 20% off normal, a very nice Visoflex
unit (no idea which), a couple of good lenses and a 400mm Novoflex in an
unusual mount but convertible to Leica I am told.

Gerry

Gerry Walden (UK)
Tel: (0)23 8046 3076
Fax: (0)23 8034 8542