Subject: [Leica] Leica and hand held meters
From: "Leslie E. England" <engl6914@iamerica.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 12:51:46 +0000

I've recently purchased an M2 on ebay with 35 Summaron, 50 Summicron DR,
90 Elmar, and 135 Hektor.  Since the attached meter didn't work, I
bought a Luna Pro S (analogue).  I've found using a hand held meter
cumbersome after 5-6 years with a Nikon F3 HP with 50 mm lens.  I need
glasses to read the meter, the f stop settings and shutter speeds, but
when the camera comes up, the glasses don't allow my eye close enough to
the view portal to see all of the 50 mm frame lines and view area.  I've
missed shots fumbling to get to the meter, then pulling glasses off to
see the framelines.
    Does anyone have easier methods?  I've thought of contact lenses,
reader glasses, buying an M6 body (though I'm told the 50 Summicron DR
may not work with the M6), or giving this Leica away to my daughter and
going back to the Nikon.  I'm also trying to learn to see the light
associated with each shutter speed at the f5.6 stop and then trying to
go meterless when fast work is needed.  I must say, however, I'm
learning an awful lot about light by carrying that Gossen meter around
with me--much more than I ever learned from using the Nikon's meter.
Also, candids are somewhat easier with the Gossen-Leica because when I
use the hand meter people think I'm using a calculator or palm computer
or something and don't pay any attention.  I had to bring the Nikon up
to my eye to meter, this attracting attention.
    I'm determined to give this Leica a hard try; I used a Leitz
microscope in school and have a pair of Leica binoculars for hunting and
football games--both of these have stunning optics.
    Any thoughts are appreciated.

Lee England

Replies: Reply from Dennis <dwp@deltanet.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica and hand held meters)