Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: A REPLACEMENT TOPIC
From: Gwpics@aol.com
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 03:59:09 EST

In a message dated 11-03-01 00:57:13 GMT Standard Time, MEB@goodphotos.com
writes:

<< I think that they are both marginal photographers at best relying more on
 the provocative nature of  their subject to carry their 'child' work. >>

I am sorry, but how you can describe the work of Jock Sturges and Sally Mann
as marginal is beyond me. I find the work f both, and particularly that of
Jock Sturges, to be beautiful and evocative. I find nothing in it that
borders anywhere near the pornographic in any way what so ever. Jock has
built up a very close relationship with the family he photographs most often
and has been like an uncle to those children from a very early age. What he
is doing is chronicling their life as they reach maturity as part of a
naturist family.

The thought police are currently investigating the exhibition of an American
photographer here in London at the Getty Gallery (I think) because it
contains naked pictures of his own children. I photographed my children naked
when they were growing up, and I would suggest that most of you have.
Somewhere I have a picture that my wife and I jokingly said that we would
advertise as 'blonde naked in red boots' which is of my daughter, then 3, on
the beach in a pair of rubber boots and nothing else having a great time.
Does this make me perverted?

Gerry

Gerry Walden (UK)
Tel: (0)23 8046 3076