Subject: [Leica] meter use and the M6 problem
From: Stephen Patriquen <patriquen@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 04:09:39 -0800 (PST)

Another thread with no right answer? Obviously, the
need for exposure accuracy depends on the subject, the
lighting, the film and the final use of the image.

In news photography, the content will often compensate
for a lack of technical quality, and guessing is often
quicker and more accurate than rapid or auto metering.
A perfectly exposed shot after the "decisive moment"
is worth nothing.

There is also something to be said for experience. I
recall having memorized the exposures for all of the
common Toronto sports venues in my time, and
occasionally being surprised when the lighting was
modified for a new season or some other purpose. I
also got pretty good at guessing exposures. (In fact,
we used to have contests - "Under the table!" "1/15
@f2!" "Close")

A picture of a grey card on negative film can be
exposed at considerably different exposures and the
resulting negatives used to make perfectly acceptable
prints. Similarly, it is less risky to be "casual"
metering low-key and high key scenes when using neg
film. However a long-range scene photographed on
transparency film needs exact exposure, and will still
likely lose detail in the shadows and/or highlights.

In the studio, the variables can all be manipulated,
and, if desired, standardized so that a metering is
redundant.

So, as usual, we see that the need for metering
depends on a number of other considerations and there
is no one "correct" way for everyone - or even for one
person, unless they only take one type of photo on one
film in one situation.

Somewhat related to this theme is my dislike for the
"off" position on my M6TTL. I typically like to be
prepared (I was a Boy Scout, after all) so I preset my
shutter speed and aperture to something roughly
appropriate to the existing conditions and leave the
shutter cocked. I shoot mostly neg film, so I will
often get a usable grab shot this way. If I go into a
restaurant, or bar, or some other place where I don't
intend to use the camera, I will put the M6 in the
bag, and then kill the battery.

The "solution" is to choose B or Off on the SS dial,
of course, but then I must remember to reset it when I
go "outside" again as well. A pain in the
you-know-what.

Surely someone else shares this frustration? I have
considered modifying a spare battery compartment cover
to provide a simple on/off switch. This could be as
simple as an M-style frame preview lever connected to
a simple rotating make/break switch that would
disconnect the battery in one position and reconnect
it in another. It could even look "stock" as it would
be where an M4 self-timer was.

I think this is quite do-able, although I lack the
expertise and specialized tools to make a really
attractive example. Even if it ended up costing US$50,
it would pay for itself in about a year, at my rate of
battery usage :-)

Thanks for listening
Steve Patriquen
London