Subject: Re: [Leica] APO-non APO converters
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 7 Mar 2001 09:33:53 -0800

On Wed, 07 March 2001, Cmrausr@aol.com wrote:

> I have an E67 180 R, and wonder which converter is best for this lens. Will
> the APO converter produce much better results with this non APO lens than the
> standard converter, or is the older converter my best bet? Or should I just
> go ahead and buy a 400 6.8?
>
> I like the idea of the 180 and converter compactness, but quality is a
> concern as well. If the 400 is markedly better than either converter
> combination I'd seriously think about going in that direction.
> Advice? Personal experience?
>
> Thanks
> Scott Stewart

Scott, I have no experience with converters and minimal experience with this particular 180 but whether the 400 is a better option depends in part on how you intend to use your long lens.

The 400's handling is unique and a very big part of its usefulness is as a rapid-focus hand-held lens.  If you had planned to use whatever long lens you end up with on a tripod, many of the 400 f/6.8's advantages disappear.

Optically, the 400 produces beautiful, high-contrast colors with lots of image detail but has some field curvature.  Mechanically the quick-focus feature is fantastic for moving critters but where you have static subjects you might miss the ability to fine-tune the focus with a traditional focussing ring.  It also has a manual diaphragm which will slow you down if you want to use any aperture smaller than f/6.8 (I don't).

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe