Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Maison du Leica
From: Mikiro Mori <arbos@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 11:37:05 +0100

Nathan-
I have always been wondering how many new Leicas sell in France at such
laughable prices. I would assume that the volume of new Leicas sold in
France is so small that French dealers are reluctant to lower retail prices
(and reduce their profit margin). There is also a solid stereotype that
Leicas should have Pharaonic prices. Hence, a vicious cycle.

I just add another reason to yours. The French tend to be self-concluded
and care little about what happens outside France. Yes, France is the
centre of the universe. When I asked one of my colleagues why it is hard to
find Italian and German wine in France, he responded, "Because we have
enough good wine here."

Mikiro

At 9:02 am +0100 6/3/01, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
>I have two theories about the reasons (just thought about it during
>morning chores):
>
>1) France is much less wired than other European countries (one of the
>lowest Internet penetration rates in Western Europe), and consequently
>shopping online is not accessible to as many people as elsewhere and has
>simply not taken root yet.
>
>2) The French tend to have poor foreign language skills (this is not
>designed to draw flames from French LUGgers, it is however a fact, see the
>latest Eurobarometer survey on the topic). Hence, it is more difficult for
>them to navigate the web sites of the German dealers, which are invariably
>in German and sometimes also in English.
>
>Both of these factors apply to Belgium as well, albeit to a lesser degree.

- --
Mikiro
http://arbos.silva.net