Subject: RE: [Leica] Developer preference
From: Richard Edwards <REdwards@Vetronix.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 14:52:21 -0800

I have NEVER used the 1-liter packs, but I have
had inconsistency with XTOL, both between batches
and within batches. So the usual warnings
about older 1-liter packets don't suffice. There
seems to be something else going on.

My tap water is god-awful, so I switched
to distilled water for both mixing and dilution.
Per LUG wisdom, I store it in 5 separate 1-liter
containers. I try to chew through the stuff
in 2 months, but 5 liters is good for 40-80
rolls, and I don't always shoot that much.

Since taking these precautious, I have
gone through my first 5-liter package with
no problems, and am seeing the same good behaviour
through the first two weeks of my second batch.

XTOL, is, to me, definitely worth the extra
vigilance -- the results justify the risk.
The 1+3 doctrine promulgated by Mark
Rabiner can change your life.

If it weren't for the questions about its stability,
XTOL would be the free lunch that there
was formerly no such thing as.

- -A L

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] Developer preference)