Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Developer Preference
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 18:25:43 -0800

><Snip>
> > F Xtol 1:3 and be there!
>
> Okay, this is embarrassing -- akin to the English professor, in David
> Lodge's novel, admitting to never having read Hamlet -- but I've really
> never processed a roll of black and white film, not since I was about ten
><Snip> ilm:  all the photography schools use it, therefor it's a
> standard.  Should I *start out* with X-tol?  Am I going to have to climb the
> learning curve all over again, once I get used to D-76, and switch?
>
> I'm basically a Tri-X kind of guy, who shoots the occasional roll of TMZ...
>

> sheepishly yours,
>
> Douglas Cooper

Not such a weird cultish thing Douglas! Xtol has gotten to be the default
developer in most pro labs.
If you brought you film into a place like that to have it run and a contact
sheet made odds are that's what they'd run it in. Ahough it might very probably
be run in Xtol straight which they replenish with Xtol.
Get ready for a "sharper" image which is at the same time has much better
grain... as in less of it and a nice tight regular grain pattern :IF you ever
see it.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon
USA