Subject: RE: [Leica] A Lens Story
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 05:40:32 -0500

I bought a 50 summicron with my new M6 nearly a year ago, and shot only that
combination until last month, when I bought too much new gear all at once--a
Hexar RF, 35/1.4 asph, 75/1.4, and two heretical pieces of equipment: SF20
flash, and a Gitzo tripod.

Having run about three dozen rolls of film through the new camera and
lenses, I can say there are only a very few shots that rival those I took
with my trusty 50/2.  I'm sure this is because I, too, learned to master
that focal length by shooting it exclusively for so long.  Those times
during the past year that I longed for zone-focusing with greater DOF, for a
little more speed or a little more reach, were mostly just limitations that
existed in my head.  In truth, there's not much I ever missed with just my
50.

I have a feeling that if I am to get the most from these new lenses, I will
have to restrict myself to using just it for the next several months.  I've
been trying the Hexar/35 + M6/75 duo for the last several outings, but even
this may be asking too much.  If I were a lifelong experienced photographer,
it would be a different story.  Since I'm just a novice, even two different
focal lengths becomes a challenge.

There seem to be two morals to the story for me:

1. I can probably survive the rest of my days with just a 50.

2. The other focal lengths would likely work just as well for me, but I have
to learn them each the way I learned my 50: by shooting exclusively with
that lens for an extended period of time.  There are no shortcuts!

Meanwhile, I'm already contemplating the new 28 asph.  It's a sickness!

Regards,
Dan