Subject: Re: [Leica] UV Filters
From: "Darren Lew" <dlew@interport.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 08:14:06 -0500

> I'm new here and offering an opinion in such august company requires
> courage. IMHO if Leica had intended its lenses to be used with filters, it
> would not have provide lens cases all these years. The cases are to protect
> the lens. If you never take the lens out of the case it won't get damaged
> which obviates the need for a filter. I only take my lenses out of their
> case to look at them and then only in incandescent light so that the
> coatings won't be damaged. I keep UV filters on a few lenses, the ones that
> I fondle often. I thought this group was for people who owned and worshipped
> Leica cameras and lenses.
>
> Users ruin Leicas. How else does one explain a "mint-" camera or lens.

i'm new here, too.

i joined because i thought this was a leica _users_ group, not a collector's
group.

i'm sure you've all debated these issues before, so i'll (try to) keep it
brief.  leicas are made well well because they were made for using, and
leitz lenses are manufactured to make sharp, contrasty pictures for us to
see.  the cameras and lenses are wonderful to handle and holding them in
one's hand  brings satisfaction and appreciation.

i'm on my third leica in fifteen years: a lhsa black paint .72 that has been
my constant shoulder companion since the moment i threw away the box and
case.

it is already brassing (to my satisfaction) from rubs and scratches and has
the mark of being mine.

it is accompanied by a 35 summilux aspheric.

in all the years i have never had a scratch on a lens (knock on wood) and
from carrying the camera on my shoulder around my neck i think i'm less
susceptible to scratch than with the camera in a bag.  i'd have to scrape
against something that would just hit the front element to get that scratch.

this is , of course, under normal conditions and not sandstorms, but i have
travelled many a continent this way without a lens scratch.

i may get a scratch one day but i will not regret not using a filter up to
this point in the peace of mind i've enjoyed in not worrying about that
other front element and whether i might not have flared or been soft had i
not had the filter.

furthermore, i've had the enjoyment of using the camera at all waking
hours--not just when i have the time to take it out of the case at home in
incandescent light.

darren lew
nyc

Replies: Reply from "Tim Spragens" <info@borderless-photos.com> (Re: [Leica] UV Filters)