Subject: [Leica] why not use lens caps????
From: "Birkey" <dbirkey@uio.telconet.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:44:00 -0500

OK I'll bite... and I've said this before.

While I may agree with Jim in theory... I don't in practice... when I'm
shooting, I change lenses constantly.  I don't have the time or desire to
look for the right cap, let alone take one off and put another one on.
sometimes lenses and bodies go into my Domke without any caps at all.  And
for front caps.... the only one I use is for my M 24mm, although that is
only if I can find it and I'm done shooting.

Once in a while, if I'm really in a hurry,  I'll end up with two lens in the
same compartment.... and I challenge anyone to put any one of their lenses
with the in a compartment, without a rear lens cap and then put a Noctilux
or 75 Summilux on top of that without a filter or lenscap and walk around
for 15 minutes or so.

If I have a filter on it, at least I won't scratch the heck out of the front
element....

And yes I did do this to my 20-35 Canon L series zoom.... I now use filters
as clear lens caps on all of my EOS lenses and R lenses  except for a couple
of my M lenses that have hard shades like the 24 and 35 Summicron ASPH.

I've scratched a few and generally replace UV filters after a few years as I
have to clean mud and dust off of them alot and eventually they get
noticeably scratched....  It's a whole lot cheaper than replacing the lens.
I'll take them off if I know something is going to be blown up bigger than
11 x 16.... or flare is or will be a problem but that doesn't happen often
enough for me to not leave them on near permanently and forget about them.

As someone wisely mentioned in regards to another related thread on the LUG,
the question isn't whether there is a measurable difference between using a
filter or not ...  the question is whether it is perceptible... and my
experience is that for 99% of my work, it isn't.

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio, Quito Ecuador
Duane's Photographs of Ecuador:
http://duane_birkey.tripod.com

Jim Brick Wrote:

If so, how do you keep the stuff in your pocket from "dinging" and
"dirtying" up the filter, through which, you then photograph? And again, if
my assumption is correct, why not just use a lens cap? Take the lens out of
your pocket, pop off the lens cap ("instant off" and "instant on",) apply
pristine, clean, good filters as needed, and photograph.