Subject: Re: [Leica] Are UV filters "safety glasses" for the lens?
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:07:32 +0200

>Without risking a public opinion on the merits of filter use, I recall that
>when I bought my first 35 Summilux (black M3 model, would that I had it
>today...) I was annoyed by the lack of a filter thread, and the need to
>insert a filter in the hood. I quickly came to appreciate the "instant off"
>filter, though.

It seems most contributors are either strictly for or strictly
against "safety glass" filters. I am certainly bi on this question
and keep a filter on my lenses so that they are protected when I have
them in my jacket pocket, just in case the odd coin or some other
sharp item has found its way into the pocket. But if I do a long
series of shots, say a portraiture session, where I do not need them,
I simply unscrew them. Best of two worlds. But I would like the
filters to be real "instant off" and "instant on",  which screw on
filter aren't
- --
Christer Almqvist
D-20255 Hamburg, Germany and/or