Subject: [Leica] Re: DR Summicron, Reconsidered
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 22:20:50 -0500

Douglas Cooper <douglas@dysmedia.com> wrote:

> Okay, I just did my first truly serious test of black
> and white on my DR Summicron. The results -- with both
> Tri-X and TMZ at 1600 -- are gorgeous. I'm thinking of
> keeping this lens after all. *Nevertheless*, the bokeh
> issue is there: no denying that the lens goes double-
> line (ie. nissen) out of focus. Am I the only one to
> notice this with the Dual Range? (The lens is in superb
> shape -- I'm pretty sure it's not sample variation.)

Hmmm, I'd be curious to see exactly what it is folks here are calling
"nissen bokeh." I've seen photos taken with the Cosina Voigt 50mm
Nokton...now there's a lens that can deliver bountiful double-line blur. No
mistaking it for the plain vanilla "I've had a few shots of single malt but
I can still see straight" variety. I sure can't find anything resembling
such harsh blur in any photo I've ever taken with my DR.

Here's a page from my as yet meager website, showing the DR at work at
around f/4 in its close range:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/dkieltyka/Bokeh.htm

- -Dave-