Subject: [Leica] Re: Subjective Lens Tests
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:23:03 -0500

FIGLIO4CAP@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/22/2001 4:59:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> douglas@dysmedia.com writes:
>
>> put my DR Summicron up against the 75mm Cosina/Voigtlander, both
>> shot wide open. The Summicron is in almost perfect condition,
>> optically; the 75mm like new. While I used to quite like the 50 --
>> this will not please many people on this list -- I found that the
>> 75mm blew it out of the water.
>
> Isn't the DR Summicron an older design? I had one years ago and
> its contrast and color differentiation were not as good as the
> latest 50, F2.

Yep, the DR is a '50s design. It's one of my favorite Leitz lenses too. It
captures light differently than the latest 50mm Summicron...I won't get into
"better" or "worse" because I like 'em both. I'm particularly fond of the DR
with Kodachrome 200 and HP5+.

Re. Douglas' original post: I have the 75mm Voigt too, for my Bessa-R, and
quite like it. Both it and the 35 Ultron give very good results with Fuji's
Astia. In my bag of goodies the 75 doesn't compete against the DR, though.
On the Bessa the 75 is my tele lens, whereas on my M3 the DR functions as
the wide. I'm keeping both of 'em. :-)

- -Dave-