Subject: Re: [Leica] C-41 negative material for B&W
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 17:29:33 -0800

Oliver Bryk wrote:

> If I understood correctly, several of our correspondents have indicated that
> because they now use "lightrooms" or "digital darkrooms" they have switched
> from conventional B&W film to C-41 B&W materials, such as Ilford XP2 Super
> or Kodak T400CN, that can be processed in 1-hour shops. Has anyone compared
> such B&W images with the result of desaturating images shot on C-41 color
> negative stock?
> Oliver Bryk

There is much talk of increased scannablity of the C41 black and white films but
this has not been succinctly demonstrated.
It makes sense that if one gets rid of his darkroom printing why bother with
making the negs as well.
XP2 is great stuff but will it replace Neopan 1600 in Xtol?? Delta 100 in Xtol?
or even Delta 400.
Not for me. I'd rather run it myself and control it's output and know it's going
to last.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon
USA

My web "real" folder soon to be website
http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/

Temporary Website by "Foxy": http://spokenword.to/rabiner/
(consisting of late night E-mail descriptions of photos)