Subject: [Leica] black tape
From: "Dave Fisher" <tekapo@golden.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 16:17:06 -0500

> From: BOB KRAMER <BobKramer@COOPERCARRY.com>
> Subject: RE: Loco for Cocoa Puffs - Re: [Leica] loco for chrome?

> Isn't what we are doing here on the LUG the electronic equivalent of
> spending a little cafe time discussing camera finishes?  Certainly doesn't
> mean the issue has become an obsession.  Apparently from what I have
read --
> ISBN number available on request :-) --  HCB thought enough about the
issue
> to completely wrap his Leica in black tape.  I would do it to my cameras,
> but it seems like _such_ a hassle...

Somebody will probably give _me_ a hassle for asking this here, but here
goes: I gave my old Nikon FM, my first-ever and still a very fine camera, to
my girlfriend. About a year ago I started noticing some light leaks on the
film but couldn't quite figure out where in the camera these were occuring.
I started lining the entire door of the body with black electrical tape, and
*voila* it corrected the problem. My girlfriend has since become an aunt and
is taking more and more photographs at an ever-increasing frequency with the
camera, and the continual taping is becoming a nuisance for her,
particularly when she is "in the field" so to speak. She's wondering if the
thing can be corrected easily so that the black tape isn't necessary. Is it
an expensive repair? Any ideas? Please email me privately if any one can
help. Thank you.

Regards, Dave
http://home.golden.net/~tekapo