Subject: [Leica] Re: "less than efficient Rollei service22?=
From: firkin@netconnect.com.au
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 22:56:12 GMT

goldman@math.umn.edu writes:

> 	The main point of my message was to find out what Alastair and
> others thought of the Rollei 35 QZT.  Instead I seem to have touched a non
> Leica nerve by have the nerve to quaestion Rollei service.
> 	In fact my friend sent in the camera twice for autofocus problems.
> The second time they said they couldn't fix it and would replace it.
> They sent the wrong
> camera (a QZW).  After he returned it they sent the correct one.  I call
> that "less than efficient". It's not the end of the world, but I think I
> used an appropriate phrase. If others take umbrage, its their problem,
> not mine.
> 	Meanwhile, Rollei may be the cat's meow for professional level MF,
> but not for amateur 35.  I don't thing the dramatic price drop is due to
> its success (as Bob Schell, the industry shill, claimed in shutterbug).
> Jay

I must have missed the query earlier. I like the QZT. It is solid, well
built, has a fantastic lens, produces high quality contrasty images,
focuses quickly (relatively) and has been reliable and accurate. For a snap
point and shoot camera, the lack of on board flash is a bit of a pain, but
the flash images are much better because of having an off camera flash. I
worry that the flash will stop working and will not be repairable in the
future, but that is in the future. I do not use it enough to really have
justified its purchase, but it is a wonderful piece of machinery. Not quite
"good" enough to be a serious camera (ie it cannot challenge the M6) as it
does not allow filters etc, relies solely on autofocus (no manual
rangefinder) and too good for a simple point and shoot. Takes nice snaps
though ;-)

Cheers

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: "less than efficient Rollei service22?=)