Subject: Re: [Leica] Delta 400 vs Tmax 400
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:22:23 +0200

>Greetings,
>
>I was recently at Keeble and Shucket and while I was speaking to the sales
>person, (Who shoots leica, and infact has some of his Cuba shots in a Leica
>Mag) he let me see some of his work. All 5x7. They had absolutely no grain..

5X7 -  do you mean feet or inches? How do you get grain to show in 5x7 inches?

>so I asked.... being the curious sort that I am, what type of film he uses.
>He replied that he had been given a couple rolls of Delta 400 to try out and
>he had fallen in love with it. I then noticed that his last shot was grainy
>and he replied that the person whom had developed that roll did so poorly.

There is a new Delta 400 out, and a French magazine test reports that
the new version is grainier than the old (but also faster and easier
to push). Were the last shots with the new version?

>So I guess my question here is which film has better tone and grain, and how
>touchy is it to time and temp for grain granularity? If you do shoot Delta,
>do you use T-Max/X-Tol developer or the standard (for me) HC-110 Dil B.

I think the general agreement is that Delta is sharper than Tmax, but
(no, _and therefore_  , because these things are too some extent
interdependent) grain is finer with Tmax. Tmax has a straighter
curve, but now we are getting too technical.

For Delta 400 Xtol 1+1 is very good, T-Max is grainier, but in a very
nice way, and Rodinal is terrible. I have never used HC-110 which I
read is convenient, economical and versatile. These are not qualities
I look for in a developer. The Film Developing Cookbook goes on to
say that HC-110 produces coarser grain than D-76 and is not as sharp
as many high acutance developers. (Guess that is in line with your
grain experience.)

Kodak's published times for Xtol are quite accurate. Get yourself a
digital thermometer and a digital kitchen alarm clock (you can set
the time to 99 min 59 secs, and it runs backwards, cost is less than
$ 10.-) and follow time and temperature recommendations closely, it
is easy, and stop worrying.

>Incidently, one of the other shots he had was taken with a Nikon and you
>really could see how that lens was flat compared to the leica lens. (He did
>a test with the 2 cameras, same film, same development tank, same exposure.)
>

>Thanks :)
>
>NO ANCHOVIE

I liked that one!!!

>Mark Cohen