Subject: [Leica] Delta 400 vs Tmax 400
From: "Mark Cohen" <markc@binaryfaith.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 01:33:32 -0800

Greetings,

I was recently at Keeble and Shucket and while I was speaking to the sales
person, (Who shoots leica, and infact has some of his Cuba shots in a Leica
Mag) he let me see some of his work. All 5x7. They had absolutely no grain..
so I asked.... being the curious sort that I am, what type of film he uses.
He replied that he had been given a couple rolls of Delta 400 to try out and
he had fallen in love with it. I then noticed that his last shot was grainy
and he replied that the person whom had developed that roll did so poorly.

So I guess my question here is which film has better tone and grain, and how
touchy is it to time and temp for grain granularity? If you do shoot Delta,
do you use T-Max/X-Tol developer or the standard (for me) HC-110 Dil B.
Incidently, one of the other shots he had was taken with a Nikon and you
really could see how that lens was flat compared to the leica lens. (He did
a test with the 2 cameras, same film, same development tank, same exposure.)

Thanks :)

NO ANCHOVIE

Mark Cohen
(San Francisco)