Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica 90mm Lens suggestions
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:49:45 -0800

Martin Howard wrote:

> Dante A. Stella jotted down the following:
>
> > There is no inherent rangefinder lens superiority for the 90mm length:
> > retrofocus is not an issue, compactness is not really an issue, and realworld
> > focusing is less accurate.  When you start talking about 85s and 90s, the SLR
> > world provides very stiff optical competition.
>
> Not quite true.  I don't have my copy here, but if I remember Günter
> Osterloh correctly from his M book, he delves into this somewhat at length,
> comparing the M6 (I believe) to a "typical" SLR (probably an R7) in terms of
> focussing accuracy.  The rangefinder was still more accurate at 90mm focal
> length, and I think about equal or maybe a tad less at 135mm.  Perhaps
> someone with the book at hand could look up the details.
>
> M.

And that is with a .72 finder and that's what i heard too!
a 105 would be the point of no return with that finder...
and the 135 being not as accurate as an SLR.

By the way what i wanna know is what F stop on the SLR as a 3.5 or f4 135 lens
is going to focus less accurately on the groundglass than a 1.4.
And ground glasses varied I'd think in their effectiveness.

With a .85 finder would we do as well as the slr guys with a 135?
	and which f stop.....

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon
USA
updated temporary Website by "Foxy": http://spokenword.to/rabiner/
(consisting of late night E-mail descriptions of photos)