Subject: [Leica] Re: Banff
From: Douglas Cooper <douglas@dysmedia.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 15:59:50 -0500

On 2/16/01 11:55 AM, Leica Users digest expressed the following:

> Guys,
>
> I'm off for some skiing at Banff (elevation 5000-8500ft).  Is there enough
> UV at these altitudes to make a UV filter more than just optional? In case
> the meter goes belly up, does the sunny f16 rule change appreciably at these
> altitudes?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jonathan Lee

I lived in Banff for a year, and have taught there a number of times since.
It is *unbelievably* bright, and while I've never shot there, I suspect the
sunny 16 rule would not apply, if only for the glare off the snow.  You're
going to have to do some test shots -- I'm not sure I would trust a meter,
even, under those conditions.  And don't even think about going without a
lens hood.  Also, fyi, it can go down to thirty below (as well as turn into
spring-like conditions overnight); be prepared.

And don't get molested by an elk.  (This is a serious piece of advice:  in
rutting season, they'll go after just about any species.)

It is, perhaps, the most beautiful place on earth.  Make sure you hike.  And
if you have the time, take a day out to drive the Icefields Parkway up to
Jasper -- that is, without a doubt, the most beautiful drive in the world.

cheers,

Douglas Cooper
http://www.dysmedia.com

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] Re: Banff)