Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 HM choice
From: "Dr. Joseph Yao" <joseph@yao.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 11:27:17 +0800

on 15/2/01 6:21 AM, Martin Howard at howard.390@osu.edu wrote:

> Nathan Wajsman jotted down the following:
>
>> In my view, 3100 is too large a number
>> to impart a real rarity value. I own one of the
>> "classic" M6HMs but do not consider it part of my
>> assets for retirement ;-)
>
> Today, no.  But in 20, 30 years time, I pretty much guarantee that they'll
> trade at a premium over the regular M6s of the same era.
>
> M.

But don't forget in reality there are more than 3,130 'HM' cameras in
circulation: many of the classic 0.72 have been modified to become classic
HM by changing the rangefinder and top cover (the HM has 0.85 marked on the
VF window).  Also, Leica never published a serial number list
differentiating the 0.85 from the 0.72 cameras.

When I wanted to add a couple more classic HM to my collection to USE, I
found out the model had been discontinued.  My solution: I bought a pair of
used classic 0.72 and had the 0.85 top cover and rangefinder fitted.

If one were to buy a used classic HM I would make sure it comes with the
warranty card to confirm its authenticity.

Rgds,

Joseph

Replies: Reply from Lucien <director@ubi.edu> (Re: [Leica] M6 HM choice)