Subject: Re: [Leica] Is Photography Real...
From: "Tim Spragens" <info@borderless-photos.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 20:44:04 +0100

On 13 Feb 2001, at 19:28, Mark Rabiner wrote:

> A piece of paper with charcoal on it is only a piece of paper with
> charcoal on it. It's not real. It's just a drawing.
>
> Is a piece of paper with silver on it to them is real!
>   more real than a piece of paper with charcoal on it?
>
> OF course not!

Seems to me that a piece of paper with charcoal on it ventured
more into interpretation after photography came along. It was
always interpretive, but when photography was able to be more
"real", and was marketed as more real, than charcoal it allowed the
divergence.

How many lies have you told with a photograph? I know I've spun a
few yarns, even in a "real" situation - not in a studio session with
control over every aspect. Both the photographer and the viewer
interpret - the successful photographer has his interpretation well
alligned with the viewers'.