Subject: Re: [Leica] Light funnel
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 18:04:05 -0800

Bill in Denver wrote:

>>My 100 APO is now safely ensconced on my R8, but the recent discussion
about a proper light funnel has me concerned.  I notice that this lens has a
> fairly deep profile particularly with the lens shade extended.  My
question
> is this: do I still need the light funnel to capture the bokeh
photons?<<<<

Hi Bill,
I don't believe so, due to the recessed front element it does seem to catch
the good , bad and ugly bokeh photons. However it's a wise move to take
great care at high noon as that's "bokeh heaven time"  and some due care
must be exercised to avoid over bokehing images.

It's a little known fact that Talbot Fox over bokehed an image at high noon
and threw the evolution of photography completely out of whack holding it
back for several years.

Did you check the lens for bokeh inhibitors before mounting to the camera
body by holding a powerful light at one end and looking  for any gopher
bokehies?

This is another highly regarded test for the maximum bokeh effect built in
to the lens at the factory in Solms or wherever!

If you don't find any really weird bits floating around inside the lens be
concerned,  as this could indicate you have an extremely rare Leica lens....
"To perfect to use!" And a definite bokeh deterrent.

Take care for the first three months or you loose the lens, whichever comes
first.

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant