Subject: Re: [Leica] Is Photography Real...
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 19:32:51 -0500

Tom Finnegan wrote, in part:

> From what I remember, Jay and Hurn tend to label literal work as
> 'photography', and non-literal or interpretive work is considered 'visual art
> that uses the photographic medium'

This, of course, is nonsense.  It all requires interpretation.  It is all a
subset, a selection, of one or more aspects of the real world.  Ceci n'est
pas un pipe, as Margritte put it.  Just because Jay and Hurn choose not to
be aware of their interpretation for some subset of photographic work,
doesn't mean that everyone else must do the same.  A photograph can be
viewed in many different ways -- I can choose to see Cindy Sherman's work
"Movie Stills" as just straight depictions of a woman in various poses, and
I can choose to interpret BD's "A Day in Our Lives" as a reflection on
social and family values in the early 21st century.  Neither is more or less
valid than the other.  To arbitrairily select the dimension of "literalness"
as a catagorisation basis and claim that it -- somehow -- carries greater
epistemological validity than any other arbitrairily chosen dimension is
just academic codswallop.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                 | Trying to determine human performance by
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU   | experiments is nothing but the ritual of
email: howard.390@osu.edu     | The Ballet for the Gods of Invariance.

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Is Photography Real...)