Subject: Re: [Leica] Process and scanning to CD for wedding question
From: MEBérubé <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:06:29 -0500

At 09:12 AM 2/13/01 -0500, Simon Stevens wrote:
>I don't want to do the scans and CD burn myself for two reasons: First,
>I don't have the time to scan 300+ images myself. And second, many of
>them will be on medium format.

Oh, ok.

>Personally, I don't particularly care for editing my proofs. I have
>found that what to me may be a slightly substandard  may be the couples'
>priceless picture with the once in a lifetime expression. This has
>happened to me before & more than once clients have told me they resent
>photographers editing their wedding.

I have future business to worry about. If I have a frame that I happened to
have bumped the shutter speed dial to 1/250 while using a flash and only
half of the frame is exposed, or a frame where I shot an exposure and
realised that the grooms hair was blown up straight by the wind, or there
is a tree growing out of Aunt Lilly's head before I caught it, I don't want
those images out there with my name on them. This is something that I
explain to my clients well before we ever enter the contract and I haven't
had anyone upset and wanting a bad image yet. (Mostly because they never
see the 3-6 images that I usually remove from the average 5 rolls that I
shoot...they literally don't know what they are missing.)

But that's the cool thing about our free market, there are lots of folks
who shoot all different ways and can meet just about anyone's desires. :)

>So what I'm looking for is a lab who has the capability to run them off
>quick and dirty as a part of the processing and printing/proofing, but
>who also does good work in terms of the printing. If anyone has any
>recommendations, I'm all ears. Thanks!

Maybe we are just blessed up here in Maine, but I have three such labs in
Portland who can produce reasonably priced good quality prints and will
burn the images to CD for about $10 more a roll. These three labs do offer
one hour services for the leaf peepers and other happy snappers, but also
offer custom services to serious amateurs and pros in the area.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Carpe Luminem,
Michael E. Bérubé

Replies: Reply from "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net> (Re: [Leica] Process and scanning to CD for wedding question)