Subject: Re: [Leica] Disassembly of 35 Summaron
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 12:17:50 -0700

Simple!

Go to your local 7-11 and buy their complete stock of sandwiches. Lock
yourself into a cooler before assembling the lens and open all the
sandwiches first. They are packed in nitrogen so you are set. I drill a hole
in the cooler and breath outside air as it is easy to get a bit dizzy and
end up with optical unit installed backwards.

Now for the true and humours part. When assembling a Volkswagen transmission
(air cooled) you can put the differential on either side of the pinion gear.
As most of the transmissions you overhaul are from beetles, it easy to
forget that when you are doing an early transporter with reduction drive
axles that it has to go on the other side.

Result...four gears in reverse and one very very low forward gear!

John Collier

PS I did not do that; but, it I did see it happen.