Subject: [Leica] Film dead according to SGI founder
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 03:35:43 -0500

Apparently, Jim Clark of SGI and Marc Andreessen of Netscape are
sufficiently out of touch with reality to predict that film will be dead in
three years time.  This hot off the PMA website:

> Sunday, February 11, 2001
>
> PMA 2001
>
> DIMA closing keynote speaker predicts digital flexibility with lead to demise
> of film
> Jim ClarkDIMA 2001 Conference keynote speaker Jim Clark, billionaire founder
> of Silicon Graphics Inc., and, with Marc Andreessen, of Netscape
> Communications, predicted: ³In about three years, film will be as unimportant
> as the vinyl disk is in the recording industry.² During the Feb. 10, DIMA
> Closing Keynote program in Orlando, Clark commented the great flexibility of
> digital imaging is quickly replacing the need for film-based imaging. He also
> looked back upon his ventures, which now includes Shutterfly, a dot-com
> company providing online digital photofinishing.
>     The session was conducted in Q-and-A format, with Adobe Systemıs Kyle
> Mashima serving as moderator.
>     Clark said, in the early 1980s, he saw a future for interactive
> television, but today he feels the Internet is serving that function and will
> expand its role in interactive communication, as well as handling motion video
> imaging.
>     Among the topics he covered was the importance of the Internet as a
> communications tool. ³A connection to the Internet is as vital for businesses
> today as a telephone.²
>     Clark is the founder of Silicon Graphics Inc., Netscape Communications
> Corp. Healtheon /WebMD, myCFO Inc. and most recently, Shutterfly. He was
> interviewed in the Nov. 2000 issue of DigitalImager.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     | "I am Pentium of Borg.  Division is
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       | futile.  You will be approximated."
email: howard.390@osu.edu         |                            -- Unknown

Replies: Reply from "Tom Furlotte" <tfurlott@midsouth.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Film dead according to SGI founder)