Subject: [Leica] Re: STOP WORRYING ABOUT YOUR LEICAS
From: "Patrick Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 12:14:31 -0500

    Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 18:25:21 +0100
    From: Hans-Peter.Lammerich@t-online.de

    Scroll down this page to see the mis-alignment after dropping your
    SL2 mot from a Phantom II jet crusing at 26,000 ft:

    http://photodeal.de/themen/the0001/the0001e.htm

I have an SL2 MOT that looks like this.  I bought it and a motor from
someone in Germany because I didn't want to see them thrown away.
This SL2 MOT had clearly had one heck of a fall.  The bottom plate was
pulled so hard by the tripod screw (because that's where the motor
attaches) that it's bowed out and won't allow the motor contacts to
meet anymore.  The top plate is no longer quite aligned with the body
on the rewind knob side.  The rewind knob appears to be where the
impact happened -- it's somehow come a bit loose from the body and can
be freely shifted 2-3mm from side to side.

But, aside from not mating with the motor any more, the camera works
fine.  No evidence of the mirror box or finder being out of alignment;
meter is accurate, the viewfinder illuminator works, the shutter is
fine.

It's getting near the top of my repair queue, so soon I'll see if it
can be straightened out.  But in the meantime it looks like it fell
out of an airplane and it still takes pictures fine.

Incidentally, the motor works perfectly on my other MOTs and shows no
evidence of damage.  Now THOSE things are built like rocks.  I'd bet
the motor in the museum still works.

- -P.