Subject: Re: [Leica] G2 manual focus and DOF!
From: "Mark_E_Davison" <Mark_E_Davison@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 06:24:18 -0800

John,

Some thoughts on your reply interspersed below:

> The manual focus confirmation is when all the little dots dissapear and
there
> is only one dot left when rotating the focus wheel.
Yes I know this.

> Presetting the focus for
> street photography won't speed up you photography as when you depress the
> shutter release the lens still has to move to the correct position for the
> pre-determined focus.
You get around this by pressing the "focus lock" button on the back of the
camera to drive the lens to the pre-determined focus point before you bring
the camera to your eye.

 > The manual focus is quite accurate, as accurate as the
> auto focus.
If you believe this, try this exercise. Mount a wide-angle lens (21 or 28)
on your G2. Use manual focus to focus on an object at infinity. Make sure
the Inf distance shows on the top of the camera. Without moving the camera,
turn the focus wheel to just before you lose confirmation. You will see a
distance marking of, say, 5 meters. In otherwords, the MF focus confirmation
will confirm a very wide range of distances for the same object at infinity.
(The same exercise will actually work on any lens, but it is not as dramatic
with the 45 or 90.) Auto focus does not behave in this fashion.

Another problem with manual focus is that it has a harder time (than SAF)
of achieving focus in dim light.

> The problem is for we Leica users the wheel has no machanical
> feel and does not focus the lens.
> All this having been said I find much to like in my G2
I too find much to like in my G2. It is a very spontaneous camera. Great for
people photography in distracting settings.

Mark Davison

Message from john <bosjohn@mediaone.net> (Re: [Leica] G2 manual focus)
Message from "Mark_E_Davison" <Mark_E_Davison@email.msn.com> (Re: [Leica] G2 manual focus and DOF!)
Message from john <bosjohn@mediaone.net> (Re: [Leica] G2 manual focus and DOF!)