Subject: Re: [Leica] Advise wanted re 400mm
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 10 Feb 2001 19:58:39 -0800

On Sat, 10 February 2001, Gwpics@aol.com wrote:

> My hunt for a long telephoto continues and I have located 2 lenses at Ffordes
> here in the UK. They are both 400mm f6.8 Telyt (one mint- and one Exc++) and
> both around the £575 ($830) mark. Does anyone have any experience or opinions
> of this lens. There is also a 2x converter at around the £300 ($435) mark. My
> alternatives are more expensive combinations of either 250mm or 350mm plus a
> converter if I want.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Gerry

Gerry, this lens is one of the great bargains among Leica lenses.  I haven't used a teleconverter with it but I know of a few people who have (and still do) and they like the combination.  You'll have to substitue a tripod for the shoulder stock but otherwise the image quality holds up well.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe