Subject: Re: [Leica] Loss of Red Dot & more! ;-)
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 13:57:20 -0800

Hi Rolf,
Hey cool answer and a great alert for all the Noctilux folks so they can
acquire good "red dot" insurance to compensate for throwing the Nocti away.
:-)

I knew there was some kind of Nitro-gas thing attached to the Noctilux, but
I thought it had something to do with the high concentrations of Uranium
around Midland where the original Noctilux was designed and manufactured.

My Noctilux on occasion, when the conditions are just right on a very very
cold Canadian night,  55.5 degrees below zero and the Northern Lights are
flashing all over the skies, the Noctilux will kind of glow as an exposure
is made and a sort of "flashing the film" must be compensated for @ an
exposure factor of + 3.

And at times like this it is best to rate Delta 100 at 1600 to avoid
unnecessary exposure of the "over active Nitro gases within the Noctilux."

I bet there are many Nocti owners didn't know this before this very post. I
do think the two of us have now cleared the air on the glowing Noctilux
question and the Leica glow that is the marquee of Leica lenses!

Hey folks we're two very serious guys! :-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant