Subject: [Leica] Re:filters on a 15 mm Heliar
From: "Neil Miller" <plus_4@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 07:53:54

- -------------------------------Original Message -----------------------

>Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 11:02:56 +0200
>From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
>Subject: [Leica] Re:filters on a 15 mm Heliar

>>I'd like to occasionally use filters on my 15mm Voigtländer/Cosina
>>Heliar--at least a K-2 filter outdoors. It seems to me that if i got a
>>series VI slip-on adaptor ring and series VI to VII & VII to VIII step up
>>rings, series VIII filters would be large enough not to vignette as,
>>I imagine, series VI & VII filters would (besides, I already have a few
>>series VIII filters for a 300 mm
>>Kilfit telephoto). How have others used filters on this lens?
>>Bob Marvin

>I have hand held a 60 mm orange filter in front of the 15mm. Not
>always with success, but often enough to keep me from using the sort
>of devices you are thinking of. But I have never shot with the sun in
>the back shining directly on the filter. Also I am worried about
>scatching the filter. But if you just need the filter occasionally,
>try to hand hold it (and hold it as centered as you can!).
>Chris
- - --
>Christer Almqvist
>D-20255 Hamburg, Germany and/or
>F-50590 Regnéville-sur-Mer, France

Another option is to have an adapter made to hold gelatin filters on the
rear of the lens. I had one made at Tempe Camera, Tempe, AZ and it works
fine. You need to cut 1 inch diameter gels to put into it. It is held in
place with one set screw. You just have to remember which filter you are
using or you may have an exposure problem. If you are interested in trying
this contact Joe Wojcich the owner of Tempe Camera at
<http://www.tempecamera.com/> or 480 966-6954. If Joe needs a sample lens to
get measurements from let me know and I'll drop mine off.

Neil

Neil A. Miller
4340 E. Boulder Ridge
Phoenix, AZ 85044