Subject: [Leica] In defense of my (fat) Tele-Elmarit
From: "Neil Miller" <plus_4@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 07:52:09

- -------------------------original message ----------------------------

From: ISILVERMN@aol.com
>After reading post after post of comments denigrating the performance of
>the
original "fat" Tele-Elmarit, I'd like to offer a few words in its support.

>I bought mine new in February 1972, and have never been disappointed with
>the
results.  Admittedly, I use it mostly stopped down to f/5.6 or lower, but it
has seen its share of portrait use at full aperture.  And for my personal
use, resolution in lines/mm is meaningless, whereas sharpness in actual use
is.

>As a sanity test, I pulled out a number of Kodachromes I took with it over
the years, and they only served to confirm my recollections.  Sharp focus,
accurate color rendition, and very satisfying bokeh (this before I even knew
what the heck bokeh was!).  There is some flare evident on a few shots, but
well within (my) acceptable range.

>Structurally, it's also been up to par - no etching, coating separation,
flaking, etc.  And while bigger and heavier than the "thin" T-E, it's still
quite pocketable.

>The point of all this is only that one should not be too hasty in trashing
this lens.  Unless I managed to get the freak perfect example, and I'm
generally not that lucky, I'd say try it under various lighting conditions
and critique the results.  You may be pleasantly surprised.

>Just my (rapidly deflating) nickel.

>Ira Silverman

I'll have to agree. I still use the 90mm Tele-Elmarit I purchased in the mid
60's to replace the 90mm Summicron I sold because of its weight. Since it is
lighter weight, I find it in my camera bag more often and I do use the lens
shade all the time.

Neil

Neil A. Miller
4340 E.Boulder Ridge