Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: DOF, thanks Austin
From: "Austin Franklin" <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 23:19:31 -0500

> Austin, I have tried to follow most of this discussion since
> your post
> claiming to have thousands of shots taken with a 75mm/f1.4 at
> around 3 feet
> subject distance and have consistently achieved a DOF of
> about 1 - 1.5 inches
> on your prints. I think you have subsequently explained to
> all of us how you
> are able to make that claim, and I for one will let it go. To
> you, it is your
> truth and you are entitled to it

I would hardly call it 'my truth'.  I believe I know why though, as opposed
to Jim's DOF of only 1/4".  It has to do with that I typically shoot at 800
and use D-76 1:1, so I get quite a bit of grain.  The 'focus' plateau is
widened because of the coarser grain, which is in line with my explanation
of how this all works.  I would believe that Jim's shot that has a DOF of
1/4" was shot with a fine grained film.

> P.S. My leica 35mm at f16 is marked for a DOF from Infinity
> to 4', and so is
> my Canon 35mmFD, my Pentax M42 SMC 35, and my Olympus 35mm,
> so I think they
> are pretty well standardized.

Someone better tell Zeiss then ;-)