Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: DOF, thanks Austin
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 10:36:53 -0800

><Snip>
>
> Okay, I understand the difference completely, but then we need to have a way
> of distinguishing these terms. DOF as commonly measured on eg lens scales or
> by DOF charts refers to DOF on the printed (or projected) image at certain
> nominal degrees of magnification.
>
> If you look up vanilla DOF formulae this is what they describe. Describing
> them both as DOF leads to exactly this confusion. Is there some convention
> to distinguish them? Like DOFf and DOFp? Otherwise it's madness.
> --
> Johnny Deadman
>
> http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

I just seems to me that they have made this arbitrary designation of 1/30 as the
circle of confusion for 35mm work.
This circle i should think would be big enough for some and too large for others
and that would depend on the typical magnifications that particular photographer
tends to work with...
how big does he/she make their prints?

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon
USA
updated temporary Website by "Foxy": http://spokenword.to/rabiner/
(consisting of late night E-mail descriptions of photos)