Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: DOF, thanks Austin
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 09:43:15 -0500

on 2/8/01 12:59 AM, Jim Brick at jim@brick.org wrote:

> At 09:48 PM 2/7/01 -0500, austin@darkroom.com wrote:
>
>> I believe you are 'confusing' DOF on the film with DOF on the printed
> image at viewed distance.  They are different.  Even on the print, then
> again at viewed distance have different 'DOF' too.  I believe I posted
> previously on this, and why.
>

> Thank you Austin...
>
> Jim

Okay, I understand the difference completely, but then we need to have a way
of distinguishing these terms. DOF as commonly measured on eg lens scales or
by DOF charts refers to DOF on the printed (or projected) image at certain
nominal degrees of magnification.

If you look up vanilla DOF formulae this is what they describe. Describing
them both as DOF leads to exactly this confusion. Is there some convention
to distinguish them? Like DOFf and DOFp? Otherwise it's madness.
- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

Replies: Reply from César Bernardo <cesar.photo@clix.pt> ([Leica] Leica R4 Winder)